Monday, September 17, 2012

Mexi-Indian Black Beans


First of all, I'm so so so so delayed with this update! I totally broke my own rule of posting once a week. With good reason though! In the past few weeks, I left my family's house in California, spent a few days in Chicago, a few more in the gorgeous South Haven, and moved to Ann Arbor! After a week of hotel living, another of living with our stuff on a moving truck and then finally unpacking, I'm happy to report I have a kitchen again.

But even though I have a new kitchen, I also now have piles of reading staring me in the face. Gone are the days of running over to Whole Foods after work and piecing together elaborate dinners...now it's time for LAW SCHOOL SURJ! But even a 1L's got to eat...

This is one of my favorite quick and easy recipes. It's nutritious and packs a protein punch. The mix of Mexican flavors and Indian flavors constantly surprise and one giant pot of these beans will feed a hungry student for a while. Unlike law professors, it's forgiving and you can easily omit or add your own favorite ingredients. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
1 Can of black beans in water 
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed (I crush your head!)
1 inch ginger, grated
1 tomato, diced
1 dried red chile (or 1/4 tsp red chile powder)
1 avocado, diced + squirt lime juice to prevent browning
Cilantro to taste
Salt to taste
Lime juice to taste
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp coriander/cumin
1/2 cup water (I just fill up my newly emptied beans can with water and dump it in to get the last bits of bean too)
1/2 cup grated cheese (I use cheddar and jack blend)
Olive Oil

Materials:
1 thick bottomed pot w/ a cover, if you have a cast iron pot use that, if not, any pot that's suitable for stews

Heat oil in your pot over medium heat. Add one piece of onion, when onion starts to sizzle you'll know your pot is heated  enough to begin.

Sautee onions, garlic, and ginger till onions are translucent.

Add dried chile, turmeric, and coriander/cumin blend. Toast spices and make sure that onions/ginger/garlic are evenly coated in spice and oil mixture.

Add beans and water and mix well, scraping the bottom so spices+onions/garlic/ginger don't burn on the bottom. Once mixed, add tomatoes and continue stirring.

Lower heat until mixture gently simmers. Cover pot and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt and lime juice to taste.

Uncover pot and add half your cilantro, gently stir in. Add cheese while stirring so cheese mixes and melts evenly.

Turn heat off and allow beans to cool to edible temperatures.

When ready to serve, garnish with a sprig of cilantro and a spoonful of avocado. I also like to add a sprinkle of cheese and an extra squirt of lime.

Serve with toast or tortillas or a side of greens. Then return to Con Law :)



1 comments:

Jennifer said...

That looks great! I definitely want to try it sometime.

Post a Comment